Handling Mold Damage at Home or Work
One of the most common misconceptions regarding mold damage is it occurs when there’s been a flood. While mold damage is highly likely following flood damage or any form of water entering the home from a burst pipe or even a small leak, it’s not just a significant flood issue that causes mold growth. Residential mold, commercial mold damage, and mold can occur anywhere at any time. Mold is a fungus. This fungus needs only a little humidity and the smallest presence of moisture to grow. This fungus multiplies, and it’s not always a harmless fungus.
Mold growth takes very little time. Less than 72 hours after mold in the home or commercial mold damage occurs, it can spread rapidly. It’s often more dangerous than it appears, too, since the smallest area of mildew, fungus, or dry rot appears small but could indicate significant mold growth behind walls. It’s why professional mold removal done by a restoration company along with remediation and mitigation is the only answer when mold damage occurs. Mold removal should never be attempted by someone who is not a professional or employed by a professional restoration company.
Evidence and Signs of Mold Growth
Mold damage in residential or commercial properties is not always noticeable to home or business owners. A few evidence mold is present in the home, or commercial mold damage is present, and no one knows if it’s black mold or just a regular fungus. Evidence of mold in the home is apparent when the humidity level is high, and evidence of black mold or other mold growth is typically the presence of water. Whether it’s a leaking pipe or flood damage, any water in the home or office is evidence there might be mold damage somewhere, whether it’s mold growth behind walls or in a corner people don’t notice quickly.
The most common sign of mold growth behind walls is a smelly odor. This smelly odor is noticeable when people walk by the mold or even black mold is growing behind walls. The first step many people take is to use a form of deodorization to make the smell disappear. They might not realize how often they’re using deodorization until the smelly odor doesn’t disappear.
Home and business owners should know deodorization is adequate to handle a smelly odor, but it’s calling a professional restoration company that makes the most sense. A smelly odor that doesn’t go away despite all the deodorization techniques someone is using might mean there is mold growth behind walls or even the presence of black mold.
Any mildew that appears in a bathroom or basement and even the presence of dry rot might indicate mold damage is prevalent. Mildew and dry rot are common indicators, but that doesn’t mean they’ll grow only in expected places. Mildew and dry rot might occur along with door frames in bathrooms, garages, kitchens, or anywhere else in a home.
Why DIY Mold Removal is a Terrible Idea
DIY mold removal is not a good idea, and it’s never recommended. Professional mitigation and remediation is the only answer. Disturbing mold spores causes it to spread even faster. There are several reasons no one should ever attempt DIY mold removal. The spores spread quickly, and many people can experience health effects from mold. Too much mold growth can cause health effects if it’s black mold, and most people don’t realize the difference.
When mold is present, people who can do the best thing are called a restoration company for professional mitigation and remediation. It’s safe to start the process of water removal immediately following a flood of any sort. It’s also helpful if home and business owners take the time to turn off their HVAC system, so mold spores aren’t transported into other areas of a home or office. It’s wisest to call for professional mitigation and remediation before attempting anything, but these are ways to help stop the rapid spread of mold.